There are three exits from the M5 to North Devon
1. From Junction 23 (Bridgwater) – the takes the longest time (over 2 hours to reach Lynton). Although SatNav systems will advise you to take this route we would recommend otherwise as detailed below:-
2. From Junction 25 (Taunton) - taking the A358 to Minehead and joining the A39 to Lynmouth. This is a lovely scenic route in daylight via Porlock (which has a very steep and windy hill) and across Exmoor by the coast. It will take approx. 1hr 15mins/30mins from the motorway depending on traffic around Taunton.
3. From Junction 27 (Tiverton to Barnstable A361 link road) then the A399 to Blackmoor Gate and A39 to Lynton – all sign-posted will take about 1 hour 15mins from the motorway depending on traffic.
Directions from the A39 Minehead:
1. Having crossed the edge of Exmoor and having passed The Blue Ball Inn at Countisbury descend Countisbury Hill down into Lynmouth, pass over Lyndale Bridge and continue on the same road (B3234) to the top of Lynmouth Hill (very steep) turning LEFT at the top into Lynbridge Road.
You have the right of way at the top of Lynmouth Hill so it is not necessary to stop unless there is something coming the other way.
2. Woodlands Guest House Car Park is approx. 150 yards on the left hand side, and is opposite the Guest House.
3. On arrival, please park your car at 90 degrees to the road and not parallel with the road, thus allowing maximum space for others to park.
Directions from the A361 Barnstaple Link Road onto A399:
1. At the roundabout just past South Molton take the third exit onto A399. After approx. 12 miles turn right at the Blackmore Gate junction and take the A39 signed to Lynton & Lynmouth
2. After about 8 miles at on reaching Barbrook turn left to Lynton (opposite the petrol filling station
3. Follow the (B3234) Lynbridge Road ignoring the first sign (left) to Lynton passing the Cottage Inn at Lynbridge. Woodlands Guest House is approx. 150 yards past the Inn on the left hand side. Our car park is opposite the house on the right hand side of Lynbridge Road
4. On arrival, please park your car at 90 degrees to the road and not parallel with the road, thus allowing maximum space for others to park.